Well friends, another year has come and gone and it’s already the second week of January. I swear, the older we get the years just seem to go by so much faster, don’t they? I guess that old saying, “time flies when you’re having fun” rings true. Anyway, now that the tree is boxed up, the confetti has settled and all the hustle and bustle of the holidays has subsided, I want to take this time to reflect on the year that was and highlight some of my favorite moments, milestones and accomplishments of 2016 that contributed to a successful, fulfilling and memorable year.
- I celebrated my 32nd birthday in February. Any reason to get together with my nearest and dearest is reason enough to celebrate, notably every new day we’re alive.
- John and I traveled to Park City, Utah for the first time on a snowboarding, skiing and snowmobiling trip (making it back in one piece). You can read all about it here.
- I started my fashion & lifestyle blog, Seasons in Stilettos, as a hobby, just before my birthday and published my very first post in March.
- My bestie, who’s getting married in two months, asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding making it my seventh time around as a bridesmaid (while also having the privilege of being a MOH twice).
- John and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary in May and ELEVEN years together this past December. (Phew! That’s a long time.) You can read about our 2014 destination wedding here.
- I had the opportunity to meet and spend time with a very special girl who’s been battling Wilms’ tumor (kidney cancer) for the past two years. Her attitude, strength and resilience has touched a lot of people, including myself, and continues to remind me what matters most in life. Continued prayers for Princess Sophia! You can read her story here.
- I completed my fifth work anniversary as a Legal Assistant at my current employer.
- I traveled back to my homeland of Belgrade, Serbia after seven years to visit my mother and older half brother who still live there.
- I traveled to Austin, Texas for the first time for a girls’ getaway and bachelorette party to celebrate our girl who’s getting married in NOLA this year. (Insert squeal here!)
- I received news that I’m going to become a first time aunt to a baby boy in March.
- My sweet and adorable goddaughter celebrated her third birthday while her baby brother turned one.
- I’ve let go of past hurt and resentment and have rekindled old relationships.
- I traveled to Akumal, Mexico to witness the union of my sister-in-law to the love of her life in a beautiful and intimate beach ceremony, in addition to celebrating milestones and special events for friends and relatives throughout the year.
- The Chicago Cubs won the World Series after an 108 year drought. #flythew
- John and I ran our first half marathon in Milwaukee, WI.
- My closest gal pals and I hosted our eight annual Girls’ Christmas Party and Secret Santa, a tradition we hope will continue for years to come.
- I received news that one of my best friends is expecting later this year (I’ll let her make the announcement).
- John and I flew in a private helicopter for our first time on NYE and then witnessed two of our best friends get engaged later that night.
With that being said, 2016, you were good to me. 2017, bring it on!
Shop my NYE look:
Welcome to our humble abode! It’s the day before Christmas Eve and I’m giving you a peek into my favorite room in our townhome and how we decorated it for the holiday season. When it comes to interior decorating, I prefer a neutral color scheme and minimalist decor for a clean overall look.
For the longest time, our pre-lit artificial Christmas tree was covered in red, silver and gold decorations when it was set up in a different room. The “white room,” as I’d like to call it, is my favorite room in the house because it has a ton of natural light coming through the sliding french doors that open up to the front patio, a large window by the fireplace, ivory-painted walls, white leather furniture and a white shag rug that we just recently put in there. Last year was actually the first year we put the tree in the white room and since John and I tend to butt heads when it comes to how we decorate the house, we compromised and made some minor changes to appease one another and our different styles so we’re both happy with the way it turned out.Since we have a purple accent wall and purple drapes, I wanted to incorporate a pop of purple on the Christmas tree with just a handful of purple ornaments to offset the white and silver decor on the tree and throughout room. The faux fur stockings that hang off silver snowflake stocking holders that I bought at Target a couple years ago are just the perfect touch to give the room a slightly cozier feel while I opted for white, gold and silver wrapping paper for the presents under our tree to keep the look consistent. (Pssst! I’m letting you in on a little secret. Kudos to the hubs for doing such a fantastic job wrapping all of the presents under our tree.)All of our Christmas decorations including the ornaments on the tree and wrapping paper are from Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Home Goods. I’ve linked similar options below:
[Photography Credit]: Jennafer Ashley of Fresh and Fit
We’re getting close, friends! Only four more days until Christmas. I know there are a few procrastinators out there, including myself, who still need to finish shopping (or get started) with their Christmas gift list, but you might be feeling slightly overwhelmed because you don’t know where to start and time is running out.
First, take a deep breath because four days is still plenty of time to knock off that list and find the perfect gift(s). If you haven’t noticed, the internet and social media is oversaturated with fashion and lifestyle bloggers (Ahem!) who have been kind enough to share their personal gift guides and ideas with all of you so all you have to do is login to your Instagram account, scroll through your feed or type in ‘Gift Ideas’ on Google and you’ll be directed to articles and blogs dedicated to helping you knock off everyone on your list.
Now, I’m not going to dedicate this entire post to every possible gift idea out there because, well, it’s four days before Christmas and I would need more than one day to come up with the perfect gift idea for everyone on your list (whom I’ve never met), and quite frankly, I just don’t have that kind of time. What I will do though, is share my personal list that includes some of my favorite items for Her & Him in my top gift buying categories to use as a guide from some of my favorite local and online retailers that ensure delivery by December 24 or that you can easily run out to, including clothes, shoes, handbags, accessories, beauty, electronics and experiences in hopes of making your last few shopping days a little more bearable.