Hey guys! So today officially marks 13 years since John and I met. In honor of our 13 years together as a couple, I’m sharing 13 fun facts about us as a couple and as individuals.
1. John and I met at Enclave nightclub in Chicago at a mutual friend’s birthday party on Sept. 25, 2005.
2. Our said friend and recent newlywed officially met his wife and asked her out on a date at my birthday party. (Returning the favor.)3. I noticed John and pointed him out to a friend at a club because I thought he was “really hot,” 6 months before we officially met at our friend’s birthday, although we technically briefly met a month before at the Chicago Scene Boat Party.
4. Although we have been together for the past 13 years, we’ve only been married 4. We got engaged on our 6th dating anniversary and had a 2 year long engagement.5. We technically have two wedding anniversaries. May 1 (our legal ceremony in Chicago) and May 10 (our symbolic ceremony and wedding in Cancun). We can never decide on which date to celebrate our anniversary so we technically celebrate both (or whichever day is more convenient that year).6. I was born in Belgrade, Serbia and came here just before my 5th birthday making me first-generation immigrant. I’ve only been back to the motherland twice since moving here and only recently in 2009 and 2016.
7. I speak Serbian fluently.
8. John is half Italian on his father’s side and their family is from Naples. John nor his dad ever learned to speak Italian and on our first trip to Italy earlier this year, we did not visit his family’s motherland.9. I have a strawberry birthmark on my right arm that I swear has gotten bigger over the years and I always get horrified looks followed by, “what happened?!”
10. John has a scar just below his right hip from hip surgery when he was little.
11. I was named after my aunt who passed away almost 2 years ago. My younger brother was named after our uncle that we never had the chance to meet.12. I danced Serbian Folklore for a decade of my life and begged my dad to let me quit before my junior year in high school so I can join the poms squad.
13. John is a scratch golfer and has played golf since he was 6 years old. He was MVP all throughout HS and the only freshman on varsity for golf.